- 1512 : Portuguese found Mauritius
- 1598: The Dutch took possession of the Island and named it Mauritius after Maurice of Nascau
- 1715: The French claimed Mauritius and named it Ile de France
- 1727-1730: The Slave population in Mauritius grew from 30 to 100,000 people. mainly, they come from Madagascar and East Africa
- 1835: Very many indentured laborers from India came to Mauritius
- 1865: Descendants of Indian indentured laborers made up 2/3 of the Island's population
- 1865: Mauritius became a republic within the Commonwealth and became a republic on March 12, 1992.
Maurice of Nascau